Tuesday, October 23, 2007

Perfect timing! Teaching with Song

In today's Washington Post Metro section there's an article about a local teacher who uses songs as a teaching aid . Here's an excerpt from the article for those who don't subscribe:

"Chandler, 33, embraced musical pedagogy after learning about a teaching method called Quantum Learning, which encourages using music to keep students engaged and focused.

Now Chandler is more likely to reach for his acoustic guitar than a dry-erase marker when explaining something complex. He even starts off the day with song."
....

"First lesson? Geography. Chandler strapped on his guitar.

I live in Purcellville/I live in Loudoun County/I live in Virginia/I live in the United States of America/I live in North America/I live on Planet Earth/I live in the Solar System/I live inside of the Milky Way/How can anyone live in all these places?/Sometimes it is hard to understand.

They sang another song called "Objects Move" for a science lesson. They also sang along in a rousing, Johnny Cash-like version of "That Shiny Nickel," with a count-by-fives chorus. Chandler finished with nimble riffs on the guitar, moving his fingers fret by fret until the children applauded."

*********
From what I've seen at Oliver's school, four-year-olds pay more attention when there's a song or a poem they participate in as part of the lesson. And they pay EXTRA good attention when there are movements and motions to be done. The whole body is learning (Ellsoworth!). As a bonus, those kids who learn best with their bodies (kinesthetic intelligence) or by learning something in rhythm (musical intelligence) are getting the material in a way that meets their learning style.

Catherine

No comments: